Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ecabazini

Yesterday began our week of safari and a Zulu experience. However, since the group is so large we have to divide into two and take turns at each. My group yesterday and today got to go to Ecabazini, which was an area that was set up like a traditional Zulu homestead, and live like thousands of Zulus still live today.
Upon our arrival, we were given the run down of what each hut was for, and who in the family lived in each. We learned about the importance and ranking of each hut, starting with the granny's at the top, then the first wife's  down and to the left, the second wife's to the right, and so on down the hill for however many wives one had. I stayed in the hut where the first wife and her children would have stayed. So I guess you could say I was feeling pretty important. Our hut, however, had a hobbit door that in Zulu literally translated into 'to pray', since you had to practically kneel in order to enter. So, I'm not so sure I chose the right hut by the end of the trip. It also had no windows, so it was very dark inside. Overall it was a surprisingly cozy place to sleep.
Our Zulu experience continued further down the hill where they had built an activities area for tourist groups like ours. There, we got to see how Zulu women make straw mats and how they "cleaned" the floors with cow dung after many muddy feet trampled through. After one girl showed us all how, our guide asked the group who would like to give this cleaning method a try. I figured, who wouldn't want to get poop all over their hand in an act of cleaning? So, naturally, I volunteered first. It was an extremely awkward sensation, but was surprisingly odorless. 50 Rand was on the line if I was able to beat her in the clearing process, which involved sliding one's hand up in a straight line and then cupping it so you clear the excess dung on top, leaving a nice smooth surface at the end. I didn't win. However, the process was still worth it, and I don't regret getting the excrement on my hands, bracelets, and under my nails. And, in the end it cleaned the floors quite well! So mom, whenever you need the floors cleaned at home, I have a new technique for you that I think will work nicely.
After exploring for a while, we had dinner back on the dung floor, where I sat with a small group on the straw mats on the floor. Our meal started with delicious steak and Zulu bread, which was the best meat I've had since being here, and ended with some more traditional foods (like Poto and Samp and beans) which I had already learned to love from service sites. We ate by oil lamplight, and then watched the traditionally dressed Zulus perform various traditional dances. Of course, when we were given the opportunity to dance as well, I took it.
This morning was a little less filled with new experiences, although when watching the early morning scenery, I saw two of the cows trying to mate. The scenery elsewhere suddenly became very interesting. I also got to milk one of the cows, which was a stranger sensation than its excrement the day before. Needless to say, it was an interesting couple of days, and I was not too upset about getting back to AE and getting in a long nap and shower before our three days of safari in the wild starting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment